Vegan Catalan-Style Radicchio and White BeansVeggies: Radicchio
Yield 5 servingsTime 1 1/2 hours plus overnight soaking of the beans
- 6 ounces (about 1 cup) dried cannellini beans,
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1 to 2 vegetable bouillon cubes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 head radicchio, stem and core removed, leaves cut or torn into 1 1/2 inch squares
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- Cracked black pepper, for garnish.
For the beans:
For the radicchio:
- 1. For the beans: Place the beans in a bowl and add cold water to cover by two inches. Allow to soak overnight. The next day, drain, rinse with cold water, and drain again.
- 2. In a medium pot, combine the beans, garlic, thyme, and cold water to cover by 2 inches. Place over high heat to bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium, and simmer until tender, 25 to 45 minutes; do not salt the water. When the beans are tender, add 1 to 2 bouillon cubes, to taste, and cook 5 minutes more; the liquid should be slightly salted. Drain the beans, reserving the liquid; discard garlic and thyme. Set beans and reserved liquid aside.
- 3. For the radicchio: In a large skillet over medium heat, heat 2 tablespoons of the oil. Add radicchio, turning to coat with oil. Add pepper flakes, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, 7 to 10 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- 4. In a separate skillet over medium heat, add remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add garlic, and sauté until lightly browned, about 2 minutes. Add beans and 2 cups of the reserved cooking liquid. Simmer until the liquid becomes somewhat creamy, 5 to 10 minutes. Add radicchio and parsley, and simmer 10 minutes more, adding more of the reserved cooking liquid if the mixture seems too thick. Serve in bowls, garnished with a sprinkling of cracked black pepper.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.