Swiss Chard GratinVeggies: Chard, Orach
2 pounds ruby, green, or rainbow chard, stems sliced and leaves cut into 1 inch ribbons (Use your braising mix and orach!)
4 tablespoons butter
1 onion, halved and sliced
1/4 cup unbleached all purpose flour
2 cups milk
1 cup grated Gruyere
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1/4 cup dried bread crumbs
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Add the chard stems and cook for 2 minutes. Add the leaves and continue to cook for another minute. Drain well.
2. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 1 1/2 quart casserole or 9×13 inch baking dish with butter
3. Melt the butter over medium heat in a medium saucepan. Add the onion and saute until soft, about 3 minutes. Whisk in the flour to form a paste. Whisk in the milk and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat the stir in the cheese. Season with salt and pepper and remove from the heat. Fold in the chard.
4. Transfer the chard mixture to the prepared casserole dish. Sprinkle the bread crumbs on top.
5. Bake for 25-35 minutes, until the sauce is bubbling and the top is browned. Serve hot.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.