Red Pepper PestoVeggies: Sweet Peppers
(recipe borrowed from “Pasta Recipes Made Easy”)
4 red peppers
2 teaspoons of pine nuts/seeds
½ teaspoon of salt 8 walnuts (buy them without shells)
2 tablespoons of parmesan cheese (grated)
1 clove of garlic
Extra virgin olive oil
Handheld food processor/blender or pestle & mortar.
Garlic crusher (ideal)
1) Grill the whole peppers under a high-heat grill, turning every 5 mins, until their skins are well blackened. This cooks the inside while making the skins easier to remove. Depending on the strength of your grill/fire, this process can take maybe 20-25 mins. Fiery tip: This blackening is the part you can do over a naked flame or BBQ if you have one.
2) While your peppers sizzle away, peel and mince garlic. Place garlic in your food processor/mortar.
3) When your peppers are pretty black, place in a large bowl and cover for 5 mins. – The peppers will cool a little, and the humidity will separate the skins a little more.
4) Now remove the first pepper (placing lid back), and pop on your chopping board. – Chop out the stalk. – Cut the pepper in half long-ways, stab with knife, and lift to drain the hot juice from inside. – Scrape out the seeds. Turn back over and use fingers to peel away all the skin. – Throw the remaining flesh into food processor/mortar.
5) Add the following into your blender or mortar: – Pine nuts, walnuts (broken into pieces), large pinch of pepper, ½ teaspoon of salt, olive oil. – Whiz/mix for 30 secs, until forms a rough paste. – Finally, stir in the grated parmesan with a spoon (avoiding whizzing this, to keep its roughness).
That’s red pesto!
To serve: Cook up 500g/18oz of pasta per person in boiling well-salted water, then drain. Mix through with pesto. Garnish each bowl with any whole remaining almonds.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.