Crispy Okra SaladVeggies: Okra
(Recipe borrowed from cookstr.com)
- Neutral oil, like corn or canola, for frying
- 1 pound okra, stemmed and julienned lengthwise
- ½ small red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 small or 1 medium tomato, cored, seeded, and julienned
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves, for garnish
- ½ lemon, or more as needed
- 1½ teaspoons Chaat Masala, storebought or homemade, or more to taste
- ½ teaspoon salt, or more to taste
1. Heat at least 2 inches oil to 350°F (you can check this with a deep-fry or instant-read thermometer) in a countertop deep fryer or in a heavy pot on the stove.
2. Fry the julienned okra in batches small enough not to crowd your pan or fryer and make sure to let the oil return to temperature (350°F) between batches. Fry it until crisp, 5 to 7 minutes—the seeds will swell and it will be deeply colored at the edges—then transfer to drain on paper towels.
3. Toss the okra together with the onion, tomato, and cilantro, squeeze the lemon juice over all, and season to taste with Chaat Masala and salt.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.