Braised Greens with Red Wine VinegarVeggies: Spinach
Recipe by Synergy Farms
1 medium yellow onion, sliced into thin half moon
1 clove elephant garlic (or 2-3 regular), minced
3 Tb olive oil, divided
¾ tsp sea salt, divided
1 lb braising mix (or your Sleeping Frog spinach!)
3 cups water or broth
2-3 carrots, ribbons (~1 cup)
¼ tsp garlic powder
¼ cup red wine vinegar
- Heat a heavy bottom large stock pot over medium heat. When pan is hot add 1 Tb oil, onion, garlic and ¼ tsp sea salt. Stir to coat the onion and sweat the onion on medium heat until soft and translucent.
- Chop the braising mix into 2 inch chunks. You can pull the leaves off of the midribs or leave them intact if you want to save time. The leaves and mid ribs are small and not too fibrous right now so the choice is yours.
- Add the braising mix and the 3 cups of water/broth. Stir frequently for 1-2 minutes to get all the greens wilted and wet. Cook on medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Uncover and give the greens a stir. At this point they should just be peeking out from the liquid. Leave the pot uncovered and cook for 10 more minutes.
- Meanwhile use a vegetable peeler to make long ribbons out of your carrots. Shoot for about 1 cup of carrot ribbons.
- Add the carrots, garlic powder, red wine vinegar, ½ tsp sea salt, and 2 Tb olive oil. Stir to combine and simmer for a couple more minutes.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.